Working Off Child Support Arrears

by Joesph R. Berlyak
(Massillon, Ohio, United States of America)

I always paid my child support to my ex-wife while I was with my girlfriend. My girlfriend and I had 2 boys together but we split a few years later.

Ever since then, I wasn't able to pay my child support to my ex-wife because all of my money went to my ex-girlfriend, even my income tax returns.

September of 2009, my ex-girlfriend had our 2 boys taken from her by CSB for severe acts of abuse, neglect and dependent. The child support for them has stopped and I'm fighting for custody for them.

I'm starting my child support back up for my ex-wife but unfortunately I have the rears as well.

I am since remarried. My wife's 3 children live with us and she is unemployed because we can't afford daycare in the summer. I only make $8.00 an hour at work and any extra money I have goes into fighting for my 2 sons.

I really want to do the right thing but it's really hard when you're struggling. I don't want to and can't afford to go to jail for the rears or have my wages garnished even more.

Can I work off some of my rears via community service?

Thank you for your consideration.

Comments for Working Off Child Support Arrears

Click here to add your own comments

Child Support
by: Child Support America Team Member

Dear Joseph,
No you cannot work off your arrears. Have you contacted your caseworker to try and come up with a payment arrangement?


Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Summit County Child Support Questions.