When is child support situation ever going to Stop

by Karla

I am a mother of 3 children and I have been paying child support since 2003. To start off with, I was in arrears due to their father's attorney waiting for 1 year to take me to court. All 3 children are grown and has been emancipated.

My youngest graduated college May 2011 at the age of 23. I paid $100 per week the whole 4 years he was in college. Then they slap me with a college bill of 1/3 of his college. I did get the payments reduced down to half of what I was paying.

I got a legal aide attorney, he told me it was not considered child support any longer now that all children had been emancipated, it is now a judgement. He told me I didn't have to pay anything, but if they take me back to court, I have to show up, otherwise I would be in contempt.

So I started paying their father $25 a month cause I didn't want to not pay anything at all. I have been unemployed for quite some time and the $100 week was killing our budget. So since last year around this time, they started taking me back to court and ever since then they always want a review hearing.

So I've been going to these review hearings every 3 months since last year. I recently got married (june 2012)and we are moving out of state this month (july 2012). The courts know this. I go to court this week for another review hearing. The last hearing I agreed to start paying the $50 a week payment cause attorney said if I did they will have to leave me alone, that I need to be in compliance in order for them to leave me alone.

Yesterday I received a letter from the prosecutors office stating that I have arrears of $17,950 (sons college)and they are going to report this to the credit reporting agencies if I don't dispute the amount. So I guess my question is, is this college amount considered child support or not? I have 20 days to respond on this.

I am trying to avoid another court hearing as like I said we are moving out of state at the end of this month (july 2012). I just need this to stop so my husband and I can move and get on with our lives.

Click here to post comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Child Support Enforcement Questions.