Termination of rights and arrears

I am terminating my rights to my son and his stepfather is adopting him. I understand that I will no longer be financially responsible for my son. I would like to know if the arrears could be forgiven? The arrears is due to unemployment and I was not eligible for unemployment benefits.

A few years back, my ex wife forgave some arrears. These arrears were not accumulated because I wasn't paying, they were added up because we were in court to modify and my monthly child support was raised almost triple to what I was paying. Prior to the trial date, I had cleared up all owed monies to her. Then at the final ruling, the child support got retro'd back over a year. It totaled out to be alot.

As a condition to for me to terminate my rights, I have asked my ex to make a request to the courts that all arrearage be waived. Is this still possible? I know she cant with the child support agency where she originally excused the arrearage the first time, but I wondered if the judge could waive the arrearage?

Thank you...

Click here to post comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Back Child Support & Arrears Questions.