Receiving The Full Child Support Owed

by Renae Blake
(Denver, Co)

I am the primary care giver to a little 3 year old boy. His father has been slacking on paying the child support in full or at all over the last 3 years. There are several thousand dollars that are in currently in arrears. For a short time he was paying through the Family Support Registry, but then he started bouncing checks on them in 2008. He stopped paying through them in August 2008 and started paying me various amounts directly.

My Child Support case originally went through the Denver Courts where there was a court order for him to pay $586 every month since August 2007. Currently I am in the process of changing my case over to the Family Support Registry. They are in the process of getting a Wage Assignment over to his employer. The current amount he owes is $586 + $117(arrears) = $703/month. He quit his job in August 2009, making $40K a year to become a bartender making $4.65/hour + tips. He also has a catering business that he is the owner of. How can I be assured that I will receive the full $703/month?

I didn't work for the first year of my son's life. I did start working shortly after he turned 1. I was with the company for almost 2 years making around $28,000/year. I am currently unemployed, but I am receiving unemployment from the state around $1300 a month. My son was in daycare when I was working. I paid roughly $4,000 for daycare last year. His father has not paid a dime of daycare even though he signed the daycare contract with me. My son stays at home with me during the days and nights right now, except when his father has him. His father only has him one overnight a week.

Comments for Receiving The Full Child Support Owed

Click here to add your own comments

No Sure Way
by: Child Support America Team Member

Dear Renae,

There really is no way to make sure he pays. It is frustrating when the non-custodial parent doesn't pay their support on time. However, there are consequences for non payment. Potential jail time, license suspensions, It will continue to be added to the arrearages when he does not pay. Has the IRS ever offset his tax return to you?


Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Child Support Enforcement Questions.