Owes 30,000 And Has Married Again

by Toi
(Chicago, Illinois)

My now 20 yr.old son's father was ordered to pay child support in 2000. He has never paid a single cent of it. He's a barber, and doesn't file taxes. He owes $30,000 in support, and has been married for 4 years now.

He still works at the same shop he was working at then, and he has to pay child support on another case that he pays from his younger son. My question is, besides his license being suspended what else are my options as far as receiving support? I live in Chicago Illinois, and would like to know.

He believes that he doesn't owe anything because my son is over 18 now. I know better than that. Also, because he owes this amount, will the judge go after his wife's assets since they are married?

Comments for Owes 30,000 And Has Married Again

Click here to add your own comments

Child Support Questions
by: Child Support America Team Member

Hello Toi!

No they cannot legally go after his wife for his child support debt. Even when your child turns 18 he will still owe the debt of the arrears. Talk to your caseworker because there can be a lien placed on his bank accounts and they can garnish a lump sum from any accounts he has.


Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Back Child Support & Arrears Questions.