Ohio Child Support
Enforcement, Laws & Information

The Ohio Child Support program strives hard to exceed your expectation in the child support area of a child's life. They have all the tools needed to satisfy your needs in getting the services that you need to take care of your child.

Child Support exists to raise the standard of living for children by enforcing their right to receive financial support from both of their parents. The child support program assists families with collecting much needed child support from parents who are not in the home. If you reside in Stark County in Ohio we have an entire page dedicated to their child support system.

Ohio Child Support

Ohio Office of Child Support

The Office of Child Support provides leadership, structure, and resources to advance the child support program in Ohio. The Office of Ohio Child Support is dedicated to improving the lives of Ohio's children.

Ohio has an excellent performance record in a number of areas within child support - including collecting and distributing nearly $2 billion in child support in 2007*. This amount includes over $1.5 billion in income withholding and over $109 million in tax offset collections.

With the fourth largest caseload in the nation, Ohio continues to look for ways to make the program easier, more effective, and more customer-friendly for their clients.

Establishing Paternity

Paternity can be established in the following ways. The first is through the voluntary acknowledgment process where a form known as an "Acknowledgment of Paternity Affidavit" is completed. It can be filled out at the hospital when your child is born, before both parents leave the hospital.

It can also be completed at the CSEA or your local Vital Statistics Registar (usually associated with your local health department). If a case is contested or if there is some doubt as to the fatherhood of the child, either parent may request that the CSEA conduct genetic testing to determine the father of the child.

The CSEA will then order all parties to submit to genetic testing and will issue an administrative paternity order based on the outcome of the genetic test. For a paternity order to be established, the test must show at least a 99% probability of fatherhood. If either party fails to submit to the test or fails to submit the child for genetic testing, and this is a public assistance case, the CSEA shall refer the case to court.

Why is it important to establish paternity?

Children have the right to support from both parents. This is true even when the parents are not married to one another. If the parents of a child were not married when the child was born, they need to establish paternity. To establish paternity is to establish fatherhood--to legally name a child's father.

Establishing paternity truly benefits a child. Establishing fatherhood is important to a child's sense of self. Every child should know who his or her father is. Establishing fatherhood makes it easier to find out about medical problems that may run in the family. And only a legal father can put his child on his health insurance policy, and get health care for his child in an emergency.

Establishing fatherhood makes it easier for the child to obtain help from the father's:

  • Social Security
  • veteran's benefits
  • Inheritance or
  • If the father becomes disabled or dies.
  • Medical Support

Medical support is a provision of a Ohio Child Support order that may include some or all of the following:

  • providing private health insurance coverage for the child or reporting available health insurance coverage;
  • paying cash medical support;
  • sharing responsibility for the child's uncovered health care expenses; or
  • paying a specified dollar amount determined by the court for health care expenses that have been or will be incurred.

Cash Medical Support

The new federal medical support regulations became effective July 21, 2008, revising federal requirements for establishing and enforcing the medical support obligations in child support enforcement program cases receiving services under Title IV-D of the Social Security Act. The changes: require all child support orders in the IV-D program provide some form of medical support for the child, even when health insurance is not available to either parent; redefine reasonable cost private health insurance; and require private health insurance to be accessible, as defined by the State.

In compliance with the new federal regulations, the Ohio Child Support laws regarding medical support have also changed. The Ohio Revised Code continues to require all child support orders to order the obligor and/or obligee to obtain and/or maintain available private health insurance coverage that is reasonable in cost, and adds the requirement in all Ohio Child Support orders for the obligor to pay cash medical support during any period when the child is not covered by private health insurance as ordered in the Ohio Child Support order.

In order to accommodate the new cash medical support obligation, child support orders will now contain two Ohio Child Support obligation amounts, an amount when health insurance is provided and an amount when health insurance is not provided, and the additional cash medical support obligation. The Ohio Department of Job and Family Services (ODJFS) Office of Child Support has revised the "Administrative Order for Child and Medical Support" to accommodate the new obligations.

When the obligor's annual gross income is less than 150% of the federal poverty level for an individual , the cash medical support obligation will be $0.00. Otherwise, this obligation will be the lower of five percent of the obligor's annual adjusted gross income or the amount from the ODJFS United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) Cash Medical Support Schedule.

Parent Locator

The Ohio Child Support Enforcement Agency can help find the physical whereabouts of the non-residential parent, the employer, or other sources of income and assets so that the CSEA may take the next step to secure or enforce a child support order. In order to do this the CSEA uses database information from sources such as: the Bureau of Motor Vehicles, Bureau of Employment Services, the Internal Revenue Service, the Social Security Administration, and the Ohio New Hire Employer directory.

Review and Adjustment of Ohio Child Support Orders

Either parent or guardian can ask for a change in the order. Ohio Child Support orders can be reviewed every 36 months from the date the order was established or the date of the last review. Some orders can be reviewed sooner than the required time frame if certain circumstances are met.

"Review" means that a caseworker looks at both parties' income information to see if child support should be changed or if health insurance should be added or changed.

"Adjustment" means an upward or downward change in the amount of child support based on the application of the Ohio Child Support guidelines. It also means adding or changing provisions for the child(ren)'s health care needs through health insurance.

Enforcement of an Order

Whenever a support order is initiated or modified, a general provision requires any payor of a non-residential parent to withhold a specified amount to be applied to the Ohio Child Support order. Income withholding is part of a support order and established at the time the order was issued. This can change over the lifetime of the order depending on the types of income available for withholding, the work status of the parent paying support, and the availability of assets to pay the child support obligation.

Income withholding is the best enforcement method for the collection of ordered Ohio Child Support . This method is mandatory and applies to almost all types of income--not just wages.

The word "income" includes, but is not limited to:

  • personal earnings
  • workers' compensation payments
  • unemployment compensation benefits
  • pensions
  • annuities
  • allowances
  • private or governmental retirement benefits
  • disability or sick pay
  • insurance proceeds
  • lottery prize awards
  • any form of trust fund or endowment
  • lump-sum payments
  • assets in a financial institution
  • any other payment in money.

Tax Offset is an enforcement method for the collection of federal and/or state tax refunds of the non-residential parent to satisfy past-due child support (arrears).

Note: If the non-residential parent has no income or assets, the Ohio Child Support Agency can get an order requiring the parent to seek work.

If an individual fails to comply with a required action and enforcement by a court becomes necessary, the court can hold the person in contempt. Contempt penalties can increase with each offense and include fines and/or jail time or other remedies that the court finds appropriate. Some of the reasons a person can be cited for contempt are:

Disobeying a judgment or order of the court.

  • Failure to obey a subpoena or refusal to answer as a witness.
  • Failure to appear in court as required.
  • Failure to submit to genetic testing.
  • Failure to comply with the provisions of a child support order.

Federal law also provides for criminal non-support to be prosecuted, if certain criteria are present. For a misdemeanor federal offense, the non-payment must be willful, the obligation must be unpaid for at least one year or be greater than $5,000, and the offender and child must reside in different states. Possible penalties for this offense include imprisonment for up to six months and/or a fine, and mandatory restitution of the total unpaid support obligation.

Termination of Ohio Child Support

Reasons why a support order can terminate include, but are not limited to, if the child:

  • gets married
  • is emancipated by court order
  • enlists in the armed services
  • gets deported
  • dies
  • has a change in legal custody
  • reaches the age of 18 and graduates from high school

The residential parent of a child must notify the CSEA of any reason why the support order should terminate. The non-residential parent may notify the CSEA of any reason why the child support order should be terminated. If the Ohio Child Support order was established by the court, the residential parent's failure to notify the CSEA of the above reasons to terminate can be considered contempt of court. If the order was administrative, the CSEA can levy fines for failure to report that information.

If other children are included in that support order, the order is eligible for a review for adjustment upon request by either parent. The CSEA can ask for a review if there are monetary benefits paid to the residential parent for other public assistance programs.

Common Questions About Ohio Child Support

My ex-spouse changes jobs frequently. This keeps me from receiving regular payments. What can be done?

A. The law requires the non-residential parent to notify the CSEA when a change in employment occurs. Even if he/she doesn't, the employment or assets are reported through the New Hire Reporting Program. Employers must report all their new hires in 20 days; therefore it is now easier for the CSEAs to find out about the non-residential parent's change of employment and new employer.

I am on Unemployment Compensation. Is there a limit on the amount that can be taken out for child support?

A. Yes, The Ohio Department of Job and Family Services, Office of Unemployment Compensation can only deduct up to 50% of the non-residential parent's unemployment benefits to pay the child support. If the unemployment compensation benefits are insufficient to meet the entire obligation, arrears will accrue on the order.

What if the non-residential parent cannot be found locally?

A. Your local CSEA will use the Ohio Parent Locator Service (OPLS) to search. Your local CSEA can use information from the National Directory of New Hires, the Financial Institution Data Match, and the Federal Case Registry to assisting in locating the non-residential parent. All of these matches have as a first step a Social Security Number verification. Your local CSEA can access various sources to search for the person.

If the non-residential parent is out of state, the CSEA can request another state to search. It is becoming harder for non-paying parents to hide from their child support obligations and the agencies that enforce them. The CSEA can also request location through the Federal Parent Locator System (FPLS), Financial Institution Data Match (FIDM), National Directory of New Hires (NDNH), and the Federal Case Registry (FCR). All of these matches have as a first step a Social Security Number verification.

What is arrearage?

Arrearage is the amount of child support that is past due when payments are not kept up in accordance with a mandated order.

Other Child Support Collection Measures

Most Wanted Posters

ODJFS has been publishing the Ohio Child Support "Most Wanted" Poster since 1992, when the initiative was established by Senate Bill 10. The goal of the poster is to locate non-residential parents whose whereabouts are unknown and who are seriously negligent in paying child support. The poster is published bi-annually and features ten non-residential parents from throughout the state.

Written permission from the residential parent is required for a non-residential parent to become a candidate for inclusion on the poster. The non-residential parent must not be known to be a recipient of Ohio Works First, Supplemental Security Income (SSI), Food Stamps or have filed for protection under Chapter 11 of the Federal Bankruptcy Code.

Each poster includes photographs and information about 10 selected non-residential parents. Each selected non-residential parent is provided with a 90-day grace period to come into compliance with the CSEA after receipt of the Notice to Obligor Inclusion on Poster. The non-residential parent can come into compliance by completing all of the following:

  • Making a payment to the CSEA at least equal to the current monthly obligation
  • Providing the CSEA with a current address
  • Providing the CSEA with evidence from each current employer of current wages, salary, and other compensation
  • Providing the CSEA with evidence that arrangements have been made for withholding from wages, salary, or other compensation

Contact the Ohio Office of Child Support

Ohio Child Support Customer Service Phone Numbers

ODJFS General Information Customer Service 


Child Support Customer Inquiry 


Interactive Voice Response 


Payment Central 


Children and Families 

Putative Fathers Registry 


Child Protection 


Welfare Licensing 

Child Care Fraud 


Safe Havens 


Kinship Permanency 


Find the Answers to Your Child Support Questions

Scan through the titles of previously answered questions below to see if your question has already been answered. You can also comment on them.

If you can't find what you are looking for, go ahead and ask your child support question by clicking in the Title Box below. We will do our best to get you a detailed response as soon as possible.

TIP: Summarize your question in your first 2 or 3 sentences, then follow that up with more details.

Enter A Title For Your Child Support Situation (Ex.: How Do I Start a Child Support Order?)

Related Ohio Child Support Questions From Our Visitors

Wayne County CSEA Child Support not helping with military spouse 
Obligor has been on active duty in Marines since 2009 (perhaps longer). My original child support order was filed in 2004. Since inception, obligor fails …

My ex-husband wants to modify the support order 
I was in a serious car accident last year and my ex-husband (residential parent) wants to help me modify my support order. We work with the Medina County …

Questions about Child Support Laws in Ohio 
I am a mother of 2 wonderful girls. My oldest daughter is 15 and her father (or sperm donor as I like to think of him) does not pay his child support. …

Money Owed To My Kids 
I am not a writer, and this is not a 2nd hand account of something that happened to someone I know. This happened to me, and I want everyone to know. …

Child Support for An Illegitimate Child 
My fiance has an illegitimate child with a woman he was never married to. When we get married, will the child support he pays be increased according …

Arrears Waived In Ohio 
Last year me and my wife had the child support order terminated, but the state said that I still owed them the arrearage which was a total of a little …

Father Married and Not Working 
My child father is currently married and not working and not trying to seek work. How will I get paid my child support if he is not working but his wife …

Child Support Modified And Hearing In Ohio 
My income decreased 30% and I requested a modification to the original support order. The modification was granted and the child support went down. In …

Termination of Child Support 
My fiance has a daughter, he was paying child support and then the mother terminated the child support order a few years ago. He has since then moved and …

How do i get my child support card 
My daughters father JUST informed me That they deducted Child support For Our daughter But i Do not have My Child support debit card. How do i obtain this. …

Child Support ordered after not finding childs father 
A support order was put in place on oct 2010 after waiting for 6 years for him to show up for a paternity test. i applied for child support when my daughter …

How to dismiss child support arrears of ex-husband 
I have been divorced for 18yrs, our son is 22. My ex-husband and I are seriously contemplating getting remarried, we've always been friends and I've always …

closed out of state child support order 
My husband has a Virginia Order which has been closed. Ohio was asked to enforce the order while it was open, how can Ohio continue to enforce a closed …

Medical insurance coverage issue 
My ex has legal custody of our daughter and I pay support. He lost his job and no longer has insurance for her. My current husband has had my daughter …

SSI receipint and Child Support  
My wife and i r separated as of 1 Dec 2010. We have two children and were not married when the children were born. I currently receive SSI Disability …

Unemployed In Ohio 
I lost my job of 24 yrs recently, and i hope to receive unemployment to help pay my child support obligations.I have contacted the local agency and requested …

Please Help My Divorce And Child Support Situation 
My ex-husband and I got married on July 12, 2004. Shortly after came our daughter Olivia. Well, everything wasn't peaches and cream. I had found out that …

Unwed Parents Claiming Child On Tax Return 
My daughter's father and I separated 2 months ago. Since I am disabled and on SSDI he has always claimed us as dependents on his taxes. We have a hearing …

Blowing Minds Yet 
I am a 32 year old father who has custody of my son from an un-wed relationship. He has been in my custody for 5 years now, and his mother has filed false …

When Is Enough Enough With Child Support 
My husband always paid 350.00 a month child support and kept all medical on his child. For ten years it was this way. When we got married last year, that …

How To Stop Child Support In Ohio 
I got a child support order last year for my on. I signed his birth certificate an an affidavit when he was born. I recently found out through testing …

Ohio Child Support Question 
My daughter is going to college in Sept.2010. Child support stopped in May. I make half as much as her father and wondered if he could pay her support …

Child Support Waterville Ohio 
My situation.I was a stay at home mom for 20 years.pastors wife ,husband also worked for union cement masons.He did decorative concrete on the side and …

Arrested For Non Child Support Columbus Ohio 
My child's father is close to $7000.00 in arrears, hasn't had a job in over a year and isn't looking for one. Every few months he pays a little on it so …

Click here to write your own.

Please Help With Child Support Butler Ohio 
I give my ex $400.00 dollars a month for one child. She has been remarried for five years now and has two other children by her husband She was working …

Not Fair In Stark County Canton Ohio 
What if the mother that has a support order issued just up and quits her job and goes on welfare in order not to pay for her 2 children? what would happen? …

Paying Child Support And Daughter Having Child 
I'm paying child support for my 16 yr. old daughter. She's about to have a child, will i still have to pay?

Have A City Address For Child Support 
My name is Joyce Mason. This is in regards to: Clarence Eisbrenner. Child Support from State of Ohio (where I live) was recently transferred to the State …

Curious About Child Support 
My boyfriend and I have been together for quite a while.. don't want to get married. We are expecting a baby in February and were told that the state AUTOMATICALLY …

Getting Ex To Pay Child Support To Ohio 

Father Lives In Texas 
My sons father lives in Texas, I have made numerous attempts to contact him, finally he stated he will sign over parental rights if I file. He is a registered …

How Can I Request A Hold On Ohio Child Support 
I have 2 children I am receiving support for. Their father and I are trying to work out our issues and reconcile. We are going to be moving back in together …

Paying 16 Dollars A Month Child Support 
I am the father and residential parent of my 12 year old son. The mother has some visitation. She is supposed to be making "in kind contributions" and …

Self Employed Father In Columbus Ohio 
My husband is self employed and his business is a partnership. For tax purposes they split the profits of the business in half and that is what they file …

Information Regarding Welfare Fraud 
My brother had three children with Cathy tucker. she said that he was not the father so that she could get welfare. He lived in the house and benefited …

Dropping 8 Months Of Child Support 
My husbands daughter lived with us for 8 months in 2008. Is there a way we can get those 8 months dropped from child support since she lived with us?

Child Living With Me So Stop Child Support 
My 13 year old daughter has lived with her mom the last 13 years. The past month and a half she has lived with me. It has been agreed upon between her …

Husband Found Out About Another Child 
My name is Lola and my husband recently found out he has another child from before we were married. This is in addition to the one we know he has already. …

How Can I Obtain The Child Support Arrearage Owed 
My baby's father owes over $5,000 in back child support arrearages. How can i go about getting this money?

Reasons To Drop Back Child Support Payments  
What reason would a residential parent of a 4 year-old agree to drop 26,000+ dollars(accumulated the first 2 years that the child was not seen by the …

Collecting Ohio Child Support For 16 Year Old Child 
In the past i have filled out child support papers but nothing ever happened for the father kept moving and i had to continue to fill out new papers. …

Ohio Child Support Is For The Kids Right 
My name is Brian Schirmer and i have a serious question about my grandson which gets child support from his father. My daughter Sarah Mann gets child support …

Child Support Situation In Ohio 
Here is the situation: Divorce was granted to mother of 4 under-aged children in June of 2009. Ex-husband always worked to keep up the family. Ex-wife …

Can Child Support Be Ordered If Child Was Given Mothers Last Name 
Father is less than capable of taking care of child. He has threatened if he has visitation the child will be in danger, therefore father was not named …

I Cant Afford My Child Support Payments 
I can't pay all the money due each month, my ex is now working and I don't believe she reported it to child support. with her working will that reduce …

How Can Non Custodial Parent Claim Child On Taxes 
I am a non-custodial parent of a 6yr old girl. There is no court ordered child support because we have no tension between us. I have been in my child's …

Receiving Tax Return For Back Child Support Owed 
My ex is behind several months on his child support. I know he will receive a refund from income taxes so how can I get the back child support owed me …

Child Support Case Reviewed For Contempt 
My ex husband was taken to court on 6-1-09 for failure to pay support. At the time a jail sentence and fine was ordered but they were suspended under the …

Who To Contact To Change Standard Visitation Parenting Guidelines 
We (wife and I) get my daughter the same amount of time as the mother a week. The mother has full control still, we have been to court and tried to fight. …

Click here to write your own.

Daughters Mother Receives SSI Can I Collect Child Support 
I am a father of a 15 yr. old daughter who has custody and is to be paid $50.00 per month. Several years later I am told that she cannot pay child support …

Ex-Wife And Son Moved To Minnesota From Ohio 
I have a ten year old son from a previous marriage. I haven’t seen him since he was three due to him and his mother moving to Minnesota. I found the mother …

How Do I Modify Amount Paid On Ohio Child Support Case 
My child support order was established on July 3, 2007 in the amount of $652.44 monthly. I am also court ordered to keep health coverage on my two children, …

Ex wants to stop his child support payments  
I was divorced in 2006, and my ex was to pay child support for three children, which I would have for ten days and my ex would have for four, on a rotation …

Joint Custody And Child Support 
Hi, my daughter is 10 years old and I have been recently ordered to go before the child support agency for child support. Mother and I were never married …

Filing My Taxes In Cincinnati 
Ok if im 15000 in the hole with child support but i pay every week and the mother dont work if i filed my kids would the money go to her for back child …

Child Support From Ohio 
I reside in Ohio and have a child support order for my 2 sons here in Ohio. My ex lives in Texas. The boys are 12 and 14, I have not gotten a dime ever …

Cash and medical expenses 
I am the residential parent and the father and I were not married. We have a son age 15 and he has been with me since he was one. He sees his father …

Employer did not withhold child support 
Hi, I live in Indiana and my ex lives in Ohio. His previous employer had a court order to withhold wages, which they did. He owed a fair amount of back …

How do I terminate Ohio income tax offset 
On Labor Day weekend 2009, my 3 and 5 year olds were taken from their mother by Summit County CPS for severe acts of abuse, neglect and dependent. For …

Ohio Child Support Program 
I have lived with my boyfriend for over 2 years. He has two children from a dissolution that live in our home during half of the week (3.5-4 days depending …

Can my ex husband still claim our son on taxes 
My ex husband is around $4500.00 behind on child support. My son has only been to his residents twice this year. It says in our court papers that he gets …

No Child support in ten years 
My son was born in Jan. 2001,father of the child was my husband til 2007 and he was abusive husband,so we divorced.I've been raising our son on my own …

Support order sent to employer 
A child support order was recently sent to my employer to recover some alleged amount of administrative fees. Yet, the order says for "child support that …

Ohio Child Support System 
Hello, I married my husband and he has 2 children ages 15 and 9. His case is up for a review. How do you determine the amount that he pays and will my …

What fees are associated with withholding child support  
My daughter receives child support from her soon to be ex. What are the fees associated with this. There has been a few times when she hasn't received …

How can we get Child Support Agency to enforce payments 
My daughter was ordered to pay child support Nov,2009. She has not made one payment. The father of my grandson has custody and every time he calls to …

Ohio Driver License Suspension 
I supported both my daughter and her mother up until we split up when she, my daughter was eight years old. At that point the mother made me pay $500.00 …

Child Support Overpayment 
Be careful to not over pay. My husband started a new job, both employers took out child support. We called them to let them know in advance that this will …

Child Support Open But Can Not Help Us 
Because two fathers are illegal immigrants the Child Support Agency will not work with us because of any SSN available. There are no known cash assistance …

Click here to write your own.

You Are Here → › Ohio Child Support