Ohio Child Support Question

by Theresa

My daughter is going to college in Sept.2010. Child support stopped in May. I make half as much as her father and wondered if he could pay her support past her being out of high school.

Comments for Ohio Child Support Question

Click here to add your own comments

Quick Answer: No
by: Anonymous

The answer to your question, in a word, is: No. If they support order ended, and your child is 18, then it's a done deal. Support payments after the age of majority (18) are hardly ever granted and require a great deal of legal work such as motions, petitions and going to court.

Once your child is 18 and has graduated from high school, most child support orders stop. Because your child support order has already ended, you would have to petition the court with very convincing reasons as to why support should be continued past the original expiration. Unless the child has unusually high medical bills due to handicap (or something similar) the court usually won't grant it. You could request your ex to pay beyond the expiration of the original order, but that is up to the ex.

Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Ohio Child Support Questions.