Current and Easy To Read
New Hampshire Child Support Laws

New Hampshire state seal

The New Hampshire Child Support system can handle all of your child support needs. They have a staff that will assist you with your case. Every child living in New Hampshire has a legal right to financial support from both parents, even if the parents are divorced, separated or never married.

visitor slogan: MAN-UP...And Pay Your Child $upport Because Our Future Is Our Children

The Division of Child Support Services helps families establish and enforce child support orders - both medical and financial. Child Support exists to raise the standard of living for children by enforcing their right to receive financial support from both of their parents. The child support program assists families with collecting much needed child support from parents who are not in the home.


Establishing Paternity is the legal way to find out if the child is legally yours as a father, If a child’s mother was not married at the time the child was born. The benefits of establishing paternity is once paternity is legally established, a child gains many rights and privileges. These rights and privileges are very important and your child is worth it. These rights are child support, medical benefits, Life insurance benefits, Social Security and Veteran’s benefits and the right to inherit from the non-custodial parent.

Total support obligation for New Hampshire Child Support

The total support obligation for New Hampshire Child Support should be determined by multiplying the parents' total net income by the appropriate percentage. The total child support obligation shall be divided between the parents in proportion to their respective incomes, except when there are incurred by the custodial parents child care expenses or for the actual amount paid for medical insurance coverage for the minor children to whom the child support order applies. The number of children in the same household for which child support is paid is the determining factor in the percentage applied against net income. All child support obligations are calculated will be rounded to the nearest whole dollar. The following bellow is the percent that is taken out of a non-custodial parents check.

25 percent for one child
33 percent for two children
40 percent for three children
45 percent for four or more children

Self-support reserve and minimum child support obligation.

If the non-custodial parent's gross income is less than the self-support reserve and the court has determined that the obligor is not voluntarily unemployed or underemployed, the court shall order the child support obligation in the amount of a minimum support order.

If the non-custodial parent's gross income is greater than the self-support reserve but payment of the order as calculated under this chapter would reduce the obligor parent's income below the self-support reserve, the non-custodial parent’s share of the total support obligation shall be presumed to be the difference between the self-support reserve and that parent's adjusted gross income, but in any event shall be no less than the amount of a minimum support order.

Medical Support

If the minor child is not currently enrolled in private health insurance, the court shall calculate a reasonable medical support obligation for each parent. A medical support obligation shall be reasonable if it does not exceed 4 percent of the individual parent's gross income. If the court determines that health insurance is available at a reasonable cost to either parent, or is available by combining the reasonable medical support obligation of both parents, the court shall order either or both parents to provide such support.

$25.00 annual fee

Federal and State laws require the New Hampshire Child Support Services to collect a $25.00 annual fee on all Child Support cases enforced by DCSS that meet the following conditions:

The Payee has never received Temporary Assistance to Needy Families (TANF), Tribal TANF, or Aid to Families with Dependent Children, from the State of New Hampshire, or any other state, on behalf of the minor child.

More than $500.00 has been paid to the Payee during the current Federal Fiscal Year. The Federal Fiscal Year starts October 1 and runs through September 30.

If the Payee receives child support from more than one Payer, the $25.00 fee will be collected for each case that meets the criteria. If you can provide documentation that you received TANF, Tribal TANF, or AFDC for minor children from another state, DCSS may be able to exempt you from paying the fee or refund the fee if it has already been collected. If you do not provide proof you received TANF, Tribal TANF, or AFDC, DCSS may charge the fee until such proof is provided.

When can a New Hampshire child support order be modified?

A New Hampshire child support order can only be changed if three years have passed since the date of the most recent order for support OR there has been a substantial change in circumstances that makes the original order unfair to one or both of the parties. For example, if the person paying support was not working when the order was issued and is now working, that would probably be a good reason to ask the Court to increase the amount of the order. On the other hand, if the person paying support was working when the order was made, but is now unemployed, that could be a good reason to ask the court to lower the support amount. You must fill out a kit to modify your support order. This kit contains the following basic forms you will need to request a change in your support order when you and the other party do not agree to a change, or to file an agreement which changes the amount of support when you and the other party agree.

Modification basic forms

PETITION TO CHANGE COURT ORDER: This form is completed and filed to request the Court change the amount of your child support order.

UNIFORM SUPPORT ORDER: This form is completed and filed when both parties agree that the current support order should be changed and also agree with the amount of the new support order. If the parties cannot agree, the requesting party must complete and file this form at the hearing. Once approved by the court, the new order will be issued to the parties with the new amount.

CHILD SUPPORT GUIDELINES WORKSHEET: This form is used to calculate the amount of child support that should be paid. In order to complete this form, you must refer to the New Hampshire Child Support Guideline Calculation Table.

FINANCIAL AFFIDAVIT: Both parties must complete this form to provide financial information to the court to assist in determining the correct amount of support.

PERSONAL DATA SHEET: This form must be completed by the party requesting the change in the support order, or by both parties if they are in agreement and filing a proposed USO.

MOTION TO WAIVE FILING FEE: If you cannot afford the filing fee, you must complete this form.

NOTE: Instructions for completing the New Hampshire Child Support Guidelines Worksheet and Financial Affidavit are included in this kit.

Terms you need:

Child Support

A financial support paid by a parent to help support a child or children of whom they do not have custody. Child support can be entered into voluntarily or ordered by a court or a properly empowered administrative agency, depending on each State’s laws.

Alleged Father

An alleged father is a man who claims or is claimed by another person to be the father of a child, but who has not been legally determined to be the father of that child.

Income Withholding

Income withholding is the deduction of the current basic support, child care support, medical support, or spousal support obligation and arrears from an obligor's wages or other sources of income.

Did you know that New Hampshire child support has a Employment Assistance program?

The Division of Child Support Services in partnership with the Workforce Development Staff offers employment and support services for non-custodial parents who are having difficulty making child support payments. Participation by the responsible parent is usually voluntary, but occasionally is ordered by the court. DHHS District Office staff can explain this service to you.

Contact The Division of New Hampshire Child Support Services at the Brown Building. They are open 8am to 4:30pm, Monday thru Friday.

Customer Service 603-271-4427
Main Number 603-271-4745
Toll Free Number 800-852-3345 x4745
TDD Number 800-735-2964
Fax Number 603-271-4787
Central Registry 603-271-4428
Interstate Services 603-271-4431
Voice Response 800-371-8844

Street Address:
129 Pleasant St.
Concord, NH 03301-3852

Mailing Address:
NH DHHS Division of Child Support Services
129 Pleasant Street
Concord, NH 03301-3857

Leave new hampshire child support for division of child support enforcement

Leave new hampshire child support for child support home

New! Comments

Have your say about what you just read! Leave a comment in the box below.