My tax withholdings and child support

by Catherine
(Chicago, IL -Cook County)

My ex has custody of my son. I was just informed that his lawyer is seeking to take 20% of my income tax return money on top of the 20% child support he already gets from me. I was not aware I was to claim myself as a dependent throughout the year. Normally I dont claim anything till I file my taxes. His lawyer petitioned and was grant the right for him to file with our son as a dependent for all 4 years till he turns 18. Since he's already reaping the rewards of the tax benefit by claiming our son why do I have to give him anything from my income tax??? If I am suppose to claim myself throughout the year how much do I tell my employer to withhold for my taxes so I dont wind up paying at the end of the year?? Can anyone please tell me - I've talked to my lawyer and he's clueless.

Click here to post comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Child Support Services Questions.