Modification of child support and criminal behavior

by Steph

Need help responding to complaint for modification of child support from the NCP in GA. He stated in complaint he wanted reduction of child support due to unemployment however the reason he lost the job that paid his support is because he stole almost $100,000 from the company.

He was convicted of 3 felonies and has to pay restitution which is $1000 a month. His probation requires that he work no less than 40 hours of work per week. We have an original court order for support that was in place prior to his convictions.

1st: Does child support take precedence over restitution?

2nd: I lost my job 4 months ago, am on food stamps and provide health care for my daughter. I've been doing everything I can to find work but can't find anything where I don't have to pay for childcare.

3rd: Is there a law or something that protects my daughter from her dads ability to benefit from his criminal behavior by reducing her support? Why does she have to suffer because of his actions?

4th: Can I file a counterclaim in my response?

5th: He retained an attorney to file the modification. I do not have the money/means for an attorney so am filing pro se.

Click here to post comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Child Support Modifications Questions.