I received ten dollars in cash assistance

by Christe
(Bessemer, MI)

I was granted child support in the amount of $622 a month for my two children staring in July or August of 2010. The father of my children employer started taking the money out weekly of $150. When I didn;t receive any money in two months I started to make calls and was told by my case worker that I had received ten dollars in cash assistance. She told me to immediately write a letter stating I did not want to receive cash assistance because I was awarded child support. She then dropped the ten dollars and I started receiving weekly payments starting on October 6, 2010. When I contacted the Friend of the Court to ask about the roughly $1500 in support collected prior to that I was told that the state kept it because I received that ten dollars and the computer program could only distinguish that I had received assistance and not the amount. I am very distraught as need that money desperately for my children and can not understanding how they can keep $1500 for $10 I was paid. Is there anything I can do to get that money back?

Click here to post comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Child Support Questions.