I lost my job due to disability and need to modify child support

by Brian

I lost my job as a Field Service Installation Engineer as a result of an injury and consequent permanent disability. I suffered a pulmonary embolism on Jan 19, 2009 and continued paying child support until August 26th, 2009 when my short term disability ran out then I was terminated as a result of ongoing disability by company policy and instructed to apply for social security disability. Me being an ex military man thought I would be alright and get another job eventually. This however never occurred and in April of 2010 I was diagnosed with Muscular Dystrophy and as a consequence have applied for SSDI and have been fighting to get it ever since. However, my child support has continued to acrue. I found a form online from California that can modify my child support to zero until I get approved for disability or my medical situation changes. Missouri is more of a pain in that they only review cases every 3 years for mods and my ex wont comply with the court ordered visitation and refuses any type of mediation. So now I will have to find the money for an attorney to modify my child support and visitation. Can anyone provide me with any solutions to these issues?

Click here to post comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Child Support Modifications Questions.