I didn't know his income

by Sara
(Lufkin, Texas, USA)

My ex-husband has always paid child support on time. After he lost his job, he filed and "emergency" child support revision when he got a new job making less than his previous job. "EX" then lost that job and took a job overseas. He would not tell me who he was working for, or how much he was making. He only contacted our daughter a few times the whole time he was gone. He paid the support amount awarded on the earlier "emergency" support revision. I called child suppert and told them he had a new job. They did not care.

I finally had to hire a lawyer to investigate where he was working and subpoena his pay records. When I finally got the records, I found he should have been paying 4 times what he was paying every two weeks. Now the job is over and he is back in the states... unemployed. Is there a way I can get the support he SHOULD have been paying while overseas? My lawyer says I can not sue for that. The lawyer says I can only petition child support to raise the amount based on what he was making, but "EX" would likely contest it because he is now unemployed.

Click here to post comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Child Support Questions.