How do you collect on an child support arrears

by Michelle
(Aurora, CO)

My daughter was born in 1990. In 1992, my ex-husband (at that time, not yet my ex) was sent to jail for domestic abuse (against myself). Needless to say, I filed for divorce and child support was granted in the divorce in 1994. He paid pretty regularly.

In 1995, he did terrible things to my daughter and went to jail again for 2 years of which he served about a year. No child support. When he got out, he wanted to have the case looked at again and so we filed financial reports and the child support was risen from $230 to $289/month. Again, he paid pretty regularly.

However, in 2001, he messed up and got his probation revoked and was sent to prison. He was there for nearly 10 years. In February 2002, I received a letter saying that my child support case was being closed because he was being sent to prison with no hope of parole and they couldn't keep the case open. He finally got out in 2009.

He moved to Alaska where he had to register as a sex offender. By the time we found him and got the strength to file again, my daughter had just turned 18 and therefore was considered emancipated. I filed with Colorado to reopen my case for the arrearages and sent a check for the filing fees and all the paperwork they required. I believe this was December 2009.

I got a call from the court saying that since my daughter had since turned 18, Colorado couldn't help me because they no longer assist in arrears-only cases. I am currently trying to file in Alaska's courts to see what they can do. I haven't heard back yet. If Alaska won't help me and I can't afford an attorney, what is there left for me to do? His last payment was in July of 2001 and at that time he owed over 6k in arrearages, plus now he owes another 8 years. Is there anything I can do?

Click here to post comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Back Child Support & Arrears Questions.