How do I obtain specifics on back child support arrears I owe?

by Christopher Russell

My son is 30 and my daughter is 27 and I have an arrearage of approximately $11,000 from NC. I live in AZ now and my ex-wife has never bothered me once for payment, even though there were lapses from time to time.

I was in prison for most of 2007 and all of 2008 and upon release found it to be a very discriminating job market when an applicant is toting a felony in their history. Even though it was non violent or repetitive crime, involving no drugs, I have not been able to secure steady work since my release.

I have just recently been threatened with jail, license and passport revocation, mandatory civil service assignments and have had liens invoked on my car and motor-home(both over 30 years old). I was told this is the beginning phase in the process of stimulating my desire to comply with the order.

I thought this was a civil issue, but the court says contempt can be either leaving jail as an option. Indigence is not a wilfull refusal to pay support, but rather a condition contributing to the inability to comply with the conditions of a support order. The courts say it is not debtors prison because the arrest and incarceration resulted from a contempt of court charge for not complying with the CS order, yet the inability to pay was the reason the judgement was levied.

If not being able to secure employment is a criminal act then 30% of the US will be locked up. I want to know if I am entitled to know how much of the arrears are earmarked for repayment of state assistance and how much will be delegated to my ex-wife. My ex has the option to waive her portion of the payments and I'd also like to find out what the process is for that.

Thanks for letting me vent and I'll definitely return to this page....

Click here to post comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Child Support Definitions Questions.