How Do I Modify My Child Support Payments


In Oct. of 2009 I lost my kids to my x because I moved 20 miles away and because my kids slept with me some times. At the time we went to court my x knew he was losing his job yet he told the judge he didn't know. Of course 2 weeks later he was layed off. I have 2 children that I pay 948.00 a month child support and still continue to buy their clothes and provide all the insurance for them. how do i get that lowered now that he is living off the government at least until his unemployment runs out. i have always supported my children since they were born and have always carried the insurance on them. He only carried it the 2 years he was working. I have been on my job for 33 years so i hope I'm not screwed on being this guys meal ticket for the rest of my life. i will have my kids for the summer and will still have to pay him child support while i have them. I need some good advice. Thank you

Comments for How Do I Modify My Child Support Payments

Click here to add your own comments

by: Child Support America Team Member

Thank you for your question. You have two options. The first is you must contact your caseworker and request the forms for a modification. Another option could be that you hire an attorney and have the attorney fight to get you a good modification. An attorney can prove your ex is on assistance and that may help your case. Check out our VIP membership for help in this area.

Have you ever received a modification in the past?


never had modification
by: Anonymous

no i was just ordered to pay in oct. of 2009. otherwise i had my kids most of the time.

Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Child Support Modifications Questions.