How Do I Collect My Back Child Support

by Nina Gordon Crain
(Massillon, Ohio)

I received child support in full until May of 2010. My ex-husband was on unemployment with the state of Minnesota illegally for a few years. He was actually freelancing and still collecting the unemployment after a move to Ohio. When the unemployment finally stopped, the child support payments became irregular and less than they were supposed to be.

I have recently remarried and now he will not pay any amount. I was told the system is set up for the fathers not to be held accountable. Is this correct? Do I have any recourse at all? He is taking them on vacation for Spring break and only contributes financially if he is with them directly. (i.e. buys them a bathing suit or a jacket when they are with him)

Many thanks for your time.

Comments for How Do I Collect My Back Child Support

Click here to add your own comments

Back Support
by: Child Support America Staff

Hello Nina,

We need to know what state the child support order was started in, and has your ex-husbands current employer been noticed of the order.


Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Back Child Support & Arrears Questions.