Home From Iraq And Need A Child Support Modification

by Marcus Santiago
(New Jersey, USA)

I came back from Iraq in May and I am collecting unemployment in New Jersey. My court order is in Georgia and so are my twin 13yr. old sons. In order to see them I must pay their ticket. The mother and I were never married and she has full custody. I pay $580.00 a month even though my unemployment is only $500.00 a week. I called my case manager and requested a review and I also sent her my pay stub. She didn’t even want to hear it and simply said "Get a Job". I don’t know if she understands that I just got back from a war and there are no "JOBS" so available. I am now Army Reserve and it’s only part-time. My question is: can’t my case be reviewed for the vast difference in pay?

Comments for Home From Iraq And Need A Child Support Modification

Click here to add your own comments

What You Can Do
by: Child Support America Team Member

Hey Marcus,

Thanks for contacting us. First I recommend you look at our Georgia State page by clicking on the State Laws button on the left. We should have some information on modifications in that state. Every state normally has modification guidelines, so you should be able to file.

If you don’t find the answer there, go to the Georgia government child support website. I would also ask your case worker to mail you the modification papers. They have no right telling you to just Get a Job, when you are receiving unemployment.

Last but not least, I would check out our VIP Memberships link on the left. It’s a new program we are developing to give our visitors some extra help with their child support situations. We receive tons of submissions, and VIP members get first priority and extra benefits. We only have a limited number of memberships available, so act fast if you are interested.

Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Child Support Modifications Questions.