Help me avoid jail time

I have 2 children. I have had custody of my son since June 2003, the daughter is still with her mother. I have paid payments as I have had the money, sometimes 2 and 3 times in one month. But there have been times when I have missed as well due to no work. I have continued to support my son through his 5 years of college of which he will graduate this May.

Even though there was no legal agreement I have paid for everything from his schooling including truck payment, insurance and phone bill. Does this account for anything in the eyes of the courts in Kansas? I have been ordered to appear in court due to the payments that I have missed.

Can anyone give me ideas on how to present my case to the judge so that I can make back payments and avoid jail time? Daughter also graduated from high in Dec. 2010 and turned 18 in Feb. 2011, do I still have to make payments until June?

Any help would be welcome. I am not a dead-beat dad, just one that loves his kids and who is struggling.

Click here to post comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Child Support Questions.