Getting Child Support From Non Working Ex Spouse

by Bonita Stanley
(Plano, Tx, Usa)

I got a divorce in February 1999, I have twins who had just turned 17 years old and a child that was just turning 3 years old at that time. I have never received child support for them. My husband lost his right arm just below the elbow back in 1989 and had trouble keeping jobs due to depression and anxiety attacks.

He tried to get on disability but was unable to get it and did not pursue it. I never filed charges against him due to his sickness. He lives in the country and doesn't have a job really, he just does favors for people to get by. Is there anything I can do?

Comments for Getting Child Support From Non Working Ex Spouse

Click here to add your own comments

Child Support Questions
by: Child Support America Staff

Hi Bonita,

You really should think about opening a child support case for the 3 year old. It is a sad situation to hear about your ex BUT, your children still need to be taken care of. He has a responsibility to them. If you get a child support order then he will be forced to pay. It may be not worth it to start a case for the 17 year olds. Call your County Child Support office and ask about opening a new case.


Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Applying For Child Support Questions.