Getting Child Support Arrears After Age 18

by Monica
(Tallmadge, Ohio, USA)

My ex-husband owes more than $11,000 in back child support. My 18 year old daughter just graduated high school and the child support agency sent a letter to terminate child support the day of graduation. How will I receive the arrears and who will enforce his payments now?

Comments for Getting Child Support Arrears After Age 18

Click here to add your own comments

Child Support Questions
by: CSA Staff

Hi Monica,

Thank you for your question. At the age of 18 a child is emancipated in the state of Ohio on the date of graduation. Receiving the back support can work two ways. 1. The regular payments will continue until the balance is paid off. or 2. What ever amount he was ordered to pay towards the back support each month continues until the balance is paid. I strongly suggest you contact your caseworker at Child Support and find out which way it will work. Do you have an order for the arrears?

Csa Staff Member

owed child support
by: helpplease

i am owed child support that is 230000 plus in arrears! i have called the state office yearly, other programs yearly and nothing. the state isnt doing their job enforcing the concequences for this and i dont have money for a lawer. what do i need to do?

Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Summit County Child Support Questions.