Father Lives In Texas

by Summer Folmer
(Columbus Ohio)

My sons father lives in Texas, I have made numerous attempts to contact him, finally he stated he will sign over parental rights if I file. He is a registered felon, and is currently on parole, I know that if I file he will go back to jail. I don't want to take the risk of him obtaining custody of my son, due to his past I don't want that, so can I receive child support and not have to give him visitation?

Comments for Father Lives In Texas

Click here to add your own comments

Child Support
by: Child Support America Team Member

Hi Summer,

Unfortunately no. Child Support has nothing to do with visitation. But, you can wait until he obtains a court order for visitation. Also he cannot just sign over rights that easily. The courts do not allow this to go on because he has a obligation to your son. If you do begin the order you must open it in Ohio. Were you two ever married?


Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Ohio Child Support Questions.