Dead Beat Dad Won't Give Me A Divorce

by bessie smith
(Prince Georges County, MD)

I unknowingly married a dead beat dad. I had no idea he owed almost 50K in arrears. Needless to say if he didn't take care of his children, he did no better by me as well. When I married him he had nothing but worked with a contractor performing home improvement so it gave the appearance of having money. I did not know the reason for him not having a "real" job was his avoidance of his child support obligations. After we married he stopped providing any financial support and I have paid ALL the bills. The state of Maryland occasionally summons him to an administrative hearing but all he has to do is show up with $100 as good faith offering.

After 5 years, I am trying to get a divorce but he will not sign a quitclaim and threatens to ask for alimony if I pursue the divorce. I am told that he might get the alimony and if the judge feels so incline may even get a good portion of the proceeds from the house even though he is not on the note and has contributed NOTHING. Is there some avenue I can use to have this man arrested for non support so that I can get my divorce and what is rightfully mine? 50K in arrears, come on. I just found his social security statements and to my surprise and dismay he has never earned more than $10K a year and that was a very long time ago. Please give me something to pursue!!!

Comments for Dead Beat Dad Won't Give Me A Divorce

Click here to add your own comments

Child Support Questions

Hi Bessie,

It is highly unlikely that he would be awarded alimony. Especially with 50 k owed in back support. A judge will look into his work history and his back support issues with other children. Keep pursuing the divorce and get a child support order in place for your kids!

We wish you well,

Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Back Child Support & Arrears Questions.