Consent to Jurisdiction for child support

by Francisco "VIP Member"..........................

Me and my baby's mom conceived a baby in Nevada and she then moved to Oregon. She now filed for Child Support and a paternity test. Oregon's caseworker says that I have to give them consent for jurisdiction in Oregon. Since the baby lives in Oregon do I have to consent to their jurisdiction or can we go through Nevada jurisdiction?

The note they sent me says "If you do not give consent or do not respond, the Oregon CSP will not proceed and will send information to the State of Nevada for legal action." What exactly does this mean? Does it mean it will end up going through Nevada jurisdiction or they'll just force me to go through Oregon jurisdiction? Thanks.

Comments for Consent to Jurisdiction for child support

Click here to add your own comments

by: CSA Team Member

Hello Francisco,

First we thank you for becoming a valued VIP Member. Your question is very legal, and involves many legalities. We are not attorneys, but we will provide you with some advice and information that should point you in the right direction.

You should have an attorney look over the paperwork you spoke about as we don't not what the document says in full. If you can't afford a lawyer, check to see if your city offers some type of free legal aid program.

If your ex has already opened up a case in Oregon, she kind has an upper hand as far as child support goes. Now, the question is, do you want full custody, or do you simply want to be able to see your child?

If you want to be able to see your child, you will need to file a motion with the Oregon court system. This is why we always recommend that a man files for court ordered visitation right away if they are not married to the other person.

If you would have filed for visitation before she left she would be in violation for leaving, and she would have been forced to go back to Nevada.

So, at this point you need to determine what it is you want to do as far as custody or standard visitation. This is very important, because if you don't get a court order for visitation you DON'T have any rights....

So let us know via this post what you intend to do.


Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Applying For Child Support Questions.