Easy To Read
Connecticut Child Support Laws

Connecticut state seal

The goal of Connecticut Child Support Enforcement is to improve the self-sufficiency of families. This is through increased financial and medical support and to establish paternity for children born out of wedlock.

visitor slogan: Paying Child $upport Alone Doesn't Make You A Good DAD or MOM. Be A Caring Parent

Their program locates absent parents, establishes paternity, establishes and modifies orders of support, and collects and distributes child support payments. All services are available to both custodial and non-custodial parents, regardless of their income.

Child support collected for TFA families is reflected when calculating the monthly grant amount. As of October 1, 2001 the first $50.00 of any current child support collected each month is disregarded and passed through to the custodial parent. (Note: Prior to October 1, 2001 the child support disregard was $100.00 per month. The exception being the welfare reform control group which received $50.00 per month). Child support payments collected for non-TFA families are sent directly to the custodial parent.

DSS administers the program in cooperation with the Office of the Attorney General, and the Support Enforcement Services Unit of the Judicial Branch. The Judicial Branch enforces the child support orders and reviews and modifies orders; the Attorney General provides legal representation for the program in court. Over 500 people are involved in the program from the three agencies.

Am I Eligible for BCSE Services

Under Federal regulations, BCSE is required to provide Connecticut child support services to any individual or agency upon request. To request BCSE child support services, an individual may either apply through their local child support agency or submit their request to BCSE directly.

Frequently Asked Questions:

The topics below are based upon the most frequently asked questions about Connecticut Child Support Enforcement.

How do I enforce my Child Support Order?

If you have applied for IV-D services, the Support Enforcement Services Unit will enforce your child support order in court using three tools:

  • Income Withholding - all child support orders may be collected through a court order to deduct money from the non-custodial parent's income (Income includes wages, overtime pay, worker's compensation, unemployment compensation, retirement benefits, etc.)
  • Contempt - the court may find that the non-custodial parent willfully failed to obey the court order. A person found in contempt might be ordered to pay a lump sum of money. This person also can be sent to jail until a certain amount of money is paid.
  • License Suspension - the court finds the non-custodial parent failed to obey the court order and orders his or her driver's license, professional, occupational license, or recreational license suspended after 30 days.

You may also hire an attorney to represent you and file court papers asking for a finding of contempt, or complete and file court papers for yourself (PRO SE). The court papers you will need are called Application for Contempt Order, Income Withholding, and/or other Relief (JD-FM-15)

How can I change or modify my Child Support Order?

The court may change a support order as the result of a modification hearing. All requests for changes must be in writing and filed with the court before a hearing can be scheduled. At the hearing, the parent asking for the modification must present evidence that supports their request to change the order. A judge or family support magistrate must order all changes to a child support order. Filing for a modification:

  • You may file a motion to modify and represent yourself in court (PRO SE). Click here for a copy of the court form JD-FM-174.

  • You may hire an attorney to file a motion to modify and represent you before the court.

If you have applied for IV-D services, you may ask the Support Enforcement Services Unit to review your court order to see if a change is needed. If the support order 'substantially deviates' from the amount recommended by the Connecticut Child Support and Arrearage Guidelines, then Support Enforcement Services will file a motion requesting a change in your court order. A 'substantial deviation' means that your current order is more than 15% different from the order recommended by the Guidelines. This service is called 'review and adjustment' of child support orders. Please note that Support Enforcement Services does not represent either the custodial or non-custodial parent at modification hearings.

If you are asking for the modification on a Connecticut Child Support, you must attend the court hearing or the judge or magistrate will not change the order.

Contact Info:

Child Support – Information & Problem Resolution


Child Support


Enter your E-mail Address
Enter your First Name (optional)

Don't worry — your e-mail address is totally secure.
I promise to use it only to send you The Child Support America E-zine.

Leave connecticut child support for division of child support enforcement

Leave connecticut child support for child support home

New! Comments

Have your say about what you just read! Leave a comment in the box below.