Child Support that I really don't owe in Illinois

by Valarie
(Southern Illinois)

OK my ex husband and I had a daughter in 1990 when I just turned 18. We were divorced in 1992. I was 20 then and dumb as a box of rocks. I know ignorance is no excuse but here goes..My husband said he was more stable than I at the time..he had a home, job, etc., so we had a joint parenting agreement with her living with him. His parents paid for the divorce and said I did not even have to be there.

Him and I had "agreed" on things. But he was supposed to get $300 a month from me in child support. Well, two months after our divorce, he brought me our daughter and left. He moved away to Florida. I just honestly did not know that I was supposed to stop the child support order. I mean, I had her, she was going to school and church and I was even getting food stamps and a medical card for her.

This is in Illinois, the same state where I was divorced. I never once got any child support from her dad. I raised her all on my own. She never again went to live with him. My daughter is now 22, married and has a baby of her own. Child Support says I owe in excess of $38,000. It is ruining my life.

I am trying to go to nursing school and can't get any grants or loans. Her dad is "on my side". He says he will do whatever he has to do to help me. He knows it's not right. I know that my childish ignorance got me here. I just need to know if there is ANYTHING at all I can do? I am desperate. This is haunting me! If anybody can help or offer advice, I would appreciate anything I can get. Thank you

Click here to post comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Back Child Support & Arrears Questions.