Child Support Issues From The United Kingdom

by James
(United Kingdom)

My name is James, and I have a child support order in New Jersey. I have made regular payments until 2005. I moved to the United Kingdom in June of that year. I have tried to pay my child support, but when I phone the payment center they don't accept international payments over the phone. They also do not accept a direct debit facility from my bank. Nor do they accept a foreign address on their expert pay site. I have tried sending a cheque and it has not been cashed. Now, when I was on my way to Houston Texas to inprocess for a job with a US based firm, I was arrested at Newark airport enroute for failure to pay child support.

I spent three days in Essex county jail. Fortunately the job was still available to me. Now, I must return to Houston in a week or so, but I am afraid I will be arrested at the airport again. I have tried to phone my case worker to no avail. All I get is her voice mail saying my call will be returned. To date none of my calls have been returned. I have sent emails in the contact section of their site with no answer from them either. It seems to me this system is designed to make you fail. What do I do? Also, I have not seen my son since he was six years of age. He is now nineteen. I am at my wits end with this. Any advice? Thank you.

Comments for Child Support Issues From The United Kingdom

Click here to add your own comments

Our Advice
by: Child Support America Team Member

Thank you for taking the time to contact us regarding your child support issue. You have an interesting and complicated child support issue, but here is our advice.

If you are living in the United States, you need some legal counsel. We can help you with that. Check out our link below, and see how our legal program can help you.

At this point your case worker may not listen to you, but they will listen to an attorney. Check out our legal page and give us a call during our business hours if you are still in the U.S. and would like more information.

Take care and contact us anytime.


Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Child Support Questions.