Child Support Increased From 240 To 1200 A Month

by Timothy
(oregon, California)

My son was born when I was 18 years old to a girl a barely knew. Ive never established paternity, although I have had some doubts as to if he is my son, but regardless I went into the navy shortly after finding out my sons mother was pregnant to be able to support him.

I was ordered to pay 240.00 a month, which I have paid for 12 years now. I was able to see my son a couple of times when he was younger, but it was difficult because of the navy. My ex-girlfriend remarried shortly after my son was born, and my son has believed this was his father all these years. When I got out of the navy 4 years ago, I took a job that would put me closer to my son so that I could set up visitation with him, but when I talked with his mother she informed me that he had Asperger's and the Dr's advised that it was a bad idea to confuse him.

Thinking I was doing the best thing for him, I agreed to stay away. This past year I received papers for a modification for child support, I sent in my information, wsnt concerned about fighting it feeling an increase to 500.00 a month seemed fair ( I was thinking that is what it might be).

They came back and increased it to 972.00 mo. Between all this I got back into contact with my sons mother, because I wanted to see if it was possible to be able to see him. I had not seen him in 10 years. I wanted to contact a child psychologist to find out what the repercussions of this would be for my son, but before I was able to, my sons mother told him about me. I found out that my son was never diagnosed with Asperger's.

I want to find out what I can do, to set up visitation with my son, and also get child support reduced. My sons mother has not worked for over a year, in fact she quit a 10 year job she had with Oregon state to move to California, and then shortly move back to Oregon, both times mid school year. There is a lot more to this, she also received a 90k inheritance in 2009 that she blew away within 4 months.

I have just gotten married, and my wife has 4 children. Because of this support order I lost my house. Any advice would be appreciated.

Comments for Child Support Increased From 240 To 1200 A Month

Click here to add your own comments

Child Support Increased From 240 to 1200 A Month
by: Anonymous

You need to get a paternity test done.

Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Child Support Questions.