Child Custody Of My Daughter In Washington DC

by Apple Davis
(Washington Dc)

I just found out that my child's father has a history of violent crimes. He is married and uses alias. I found this information out on public records and through research. He is threatening to take custody of our child however he is saying she is not his. He is a habitual liar. I know this sounds confusing. But my question is can he get custody of our daughter. I don't want my daughter around him so should I go file full custody of her. I have filed child support so when I have a court date in DC will the judge even listen to this. I have witnesses. He had another child by another girl while he was married and he did the same thing to her (lied about his name). He was found guilty for assaulting her and has five years probation. Again I found her on public records and looked up her number up on the internet. She told me everything. I didn't know all this about him because he lied to me and my family. Is this something that can be told in child support court? Now that my daughter is here he has only brought her a pack of pampers. He says I can't make him do anything. Please help me?

Comments for Child Custody Of My Daughter In Washington DC

Click here to add your own comments

Not To Worry
by: Child Support America Team Member

Hi Apple,

We don't think you have anything to worry about. First of all you are the custodial parent by default. He would have to file a motion for either custody or visitation with the courts, and he doesn't seem the type to follow through with this. Also child support court should have nothing to do with custody or visitation. They are separate.

How old is your your daughter and has this guy even seen her yet? You can respond back via this post.


by: Cindy

If you're not married, is his name on the birth certificate? (his real name)....If not he won't be able to do anything about custody until a paternity test is done.

You're best bet would be to file an exparte order for custody now, do NOT wait until you go to court for child support. You will get an immediate hearing in front of the judge and be given a chance to explain this to him, including the threats the father is making in regards to taking your child away. You can usually find the forms you need online for the state you reside in. If you can't, leave a comment here and I'll see if I can find you the link you need. I'll help in anyway I can to prevent what happened to me and my children from happening to others.

I didn't know anything about this order and have been fighting to get my little girls back for 7 years now because I allowed their father to have them for an overnight visit before we went to court and he filed an ex parte order and got temporary custody that day and once that is issued unless the other parent can provide proof that they are unfit, it's hell trying to get it reversed.

Great Advice
by: Child Support America Team Member

Great advice Cindy, and we thank you for helping out.


by: Anonymous

You're very welcome. I'm checking all the posts. If there is anything I have a definite fact based response to I will post it and try to help. I've been going through hell with the courts on child suppport and visitation issues for 7 years and I'd like to prevent my situation from happening to others if I can and it is in the best interest of the child based on information that is written here.

Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Child Support Services Questions.