Changing The Amount I Pay In Child Support

by Brian Young
(Manchester, N.H. USA)

My son just turned 7 years old. His mom and I were married, but got divorced 5 1/2 years ago. When I agreed to child support..I had extra money and great credit. Now, I can't even afford to live on my own and my credit is bad. I get my son every Monday, Wednesday and Saturday. She has claimed him every year on Income taxes. I pay $167.00 a week. Now that he no longer has to go to day care(which was $155.00 per week) I feel my child support should be lowered. She makes about $40,000 per year And I make about $45,000 per year. After taxes and insurance and paying child support, I bring home just under $460.00 per week. A small two bedroom apartment costs around $800-$900 per month..Nothing included. When figuring out child support do I automatically have to pay 25% of my gross income or is it figured out by combining both our incomes and going from there? We are both still unmarried. When I have him, obviously I still need to purchase groceries and have a roof over his head. Now she feels I should be the one to buy his extra cirucular activity items...such as cleats, baseball pants..etc.. I'm just wondering if I have a case in being able to pusue lowering my child support. Thanks for any assistance you can give me.

Comments for Changing The Amount I Pay In Child Support

Click here to add your own comments

Why Pay More
by: Child Support America Team Member

Dear Brian,

We are glad to assist you with your questions. You can apply for the modification yourself. Contact your caseworker and ask for the proper forms. The claiming of the taxes you do have a right to claim your son every other year, however, it must be court ordered. You may want to consider hiring an attorney to make these changes in your divorce decree. A court order can break down who is required to pay the extra expenses for activities, tax claims etc. It would be worth it considering he is only 7 years old. Why are you paying for extra activities? Are you ordered to pay these?

Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Child Support Questions.