Can I request a paternity test

I've always believed that my younger daughter was not mine. I believe my younger brother fathered her with my ex-wife. I've been divorced since 2001 & paying child support for 2 children, ages 4 and 8 at the time of the divorce (now 14 & 17). My ex-wife cut off all communications with me in 2006 after applying for CS enforcement in the state she lives (WI); I have had zero parenting time with my children since 01/2006 and my ex-wife has been poisoning both children against me since.

My older daughter who is almost 18 is definitely mine; the younger looks more and more like my younger brother every day, and my ex-wife is suspected of having an affair during our marriage - with both of my younger brothers. I am in the middle of a long child support modification case with my ex-wife - the first in our ten years of divorce. Everything has been thrown on the table, and I would like to have a paternity test done.

I am listed on my younger daughters birth certificate as the father, and my ex-wife and I were married when the child was born. Divorce was filed in Illinois; Wisconsin has enforced the order since 2006. I see that the state of Wisconsin's child support agency will not test for paternity since I am listed on the birth certificate as the father.

What are my rights? Also - if I can have a paternity test done, what are the chances that my DNA differs enough from my younger brother to show he is the father if it comes down to it?

Comments for Can I request a paternity test

Click here to add your own comments

by: Anonymous

I have been going to court for the last two years trying to get a dna test done to see if this kid is mine or not. I've been to the family law facilitators and filled out motions but they keep telling me I can't get the test done because I sign the birth certificate.

He's almost 7 now and I'm paying child support for a child I don't even see or know is mine. How is that fair and where is the justice in that? I should at least be given that much since i m paying. I've been to all the courts and the mother has failed to show up multiple times she was also arrested and had her new born of 2 weeks old, (who is from another guy) and the one is claimed to mine taken away but I'm still the bad one.

How is that? What can I do to get this resolved? If he is mine I would love to build a bond with him but its hard to do so when I'm uncertain of that.

Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Child Support Questions.