Back Support Never The Same Amount

by Mike Ryman "VIP Member"...........................
(Johnson City, TN)

Hi. I have been paying child support since 2000. At the time i began, Alaska state was taking 450.00 per month from my paychecks. I live in Tennessee. In 2003 i became self employed and needed the amount modified to reflect my current pay status. I scrimped and did what i had to to continue paying the amount Alaska stated until i simply could not anymore. In 2005 i called and talked to the local child support office, and my "case worker" got very hateful with me.

I explained that since 2000 my job had changed and i was not making as much now. I told her i really needed help as i needed to do something to get my pay amount lowered to an amount i could afford. She said in a very VERY snotty tone " sounds to me like you need to get yourself an attorney" and she hung up on me. I talked to relatives and they helped me get an attorney.

He took it into court and got my pay amount dropped to 160 per month, and 50 extra to go towards the back pay owed. Apparently this court decision was not good enough for Alaska state. Alaska was and is charging interest.

Nobody ever mentioned the word interest to me. In my way of thinking, since Tennessee took it into court, and set my pay, and i have been paying, shouldn't Alaska have had to abide by Tennessee ruling? My back pay as of 2000 was supposedly 17 thousand dollars. Now in 2012 it is 20 thousand and according to an attorney here in tn, i have only missed 4 payments since the 2005 court ruling, and none before that going back to 2000.

My back pay has gone up and up. I was told by an attorney here that Alaska was charging me 60 or more per month, then lower as time went on for interest, which is more than i was paying for back pay. I was told this is due to the interest on the original amount Alaska claimed i owed. What can i do?

I have been paying for years and still am. The child is now 18, so no more current pay. However i really feel i am being intentionally screwed here. Is there something i can legally do about this? I have been paying for years and now owe more than when i started. I really feel i have been taken for a ride.

Comments for Back Support Never The Same Amount

Click here to add your own comments

Back Arrears VIP Member......
by: Mike

Hi, the email used is "tat2zz" and title of question was back support never the same.

Back Arrears VIP Member..........
by: Child Support America Team Member

Hello Mike,

This is a Child Support America Team Member. When you submitted your post you did not place your email address in your profile. We added it for you, so please respond back with a quick reply to this post so that we know that you are receiving notifications from us.

Once we hear back, a specialist will answer your questions within three business days. Again, we thank you for becoming a valued VIP Member...


by: mike ryman

I received your response notification. Thank you.

Child Support Questions V.I.P. Member
by: CSA Staff

Hello Mike,

Thank you for sharing your child support situation. It can be so difficult when you have two different states involved in your child support case. One state always seems to have completely different records than the other state. It sounds as if the "order" originated in Alaska. That would explain the why Alaska is not matching up with the Tennessee order. This situation really needs to be addressed by an attorney preferably in Alaska.

In the Alaska court, your "new order" can be shown with the modified amount to the judge. The judge can then fix the "arrears amount" to reflect the appropriate amount. This really can only be fixed by a court order. Going through child support can really be a lost cause. Sad but true, it needs to go before the judge.

Alaska is a state which allows interest on back support. But, there can be an adjustment made and a judge must do it. It is important to get this taken care of because the arrears is reflected on your credit reports. It is not fair, especially if it is the wrong amount.

We want to encourage you. These situations can be so unfair and we wish you the best through the process. Please keep us updated......


Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Back Child Support & Arrears Questions.