Arrears In Both Arizona And California

by Sandra

I have an arrears case {interstate case} started

in Arizona. The order amount was 6,200, and as of now it should be payed off. I went to LA county dcss and the case worker reviewed my paperwork and closed my case. She did this because it was the same case that was opened in Arizona. The Arizona case had jurisdiction. LA had 10,000 in arrears and the case worker could not explain how they came up with that amount.

LA also did not have record of the payments that went to Arizona. Arizona did not have records of the payments that went to California as well. When LA closed my case and Arizona was notified, Arizona in turn picked up the amount of 10,000 that LA had at that time. I was already down to 1,800 left to pay.

Arizona child support will not respond and never notified me as to why they made that change. What can I do to get this problem solved? Can the other parent request to have this case closed, so no more money is taken from me. How can I get this back into court if the case originated from Arizona, and I live in California? Any help you can give would be great.

Comments for Arrears In Both Arizona And California

Click here to add your own comments

Complication in two states
by: Child Support America Team Member

Hi Sandra,

Interstate cases are always complicated. The person who opened the case is normally the only person who can close the case. I personally have a interstate case and had a similar situation. I had to get legal assistance to get my situation resolved and you may have to do the same.

The good news is that we can help you with this through our new legal service. Check out our legal help page to see how our legal service works. It's in two parts, so be sure to read both pages. It also explains how our legal service helped me to overcome my interstate child support problem. If you have any questions feel-free to call us. Also be sure to sign up for our free e-zine newsletter.

Well take care, and we look forward to speaking with you soon.


Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Back Child Support & Arrears Questions.