Alabama Child Support
Enforcement, Laws & Information

The Alabama Child Support Enforcement division helps families gain financial independence due to Non-payment. The enforcement division will offer many different services to help with your needs. Whatever your current situation is, the ACSED is there to provide help.

Before a court order can be in place, paternity must be established. If paternity has not been established, the Alabama support Agency can help obtain paternity tests for the child/children in question. You will need this test for the courts to provide you with an order.

Alabama Child Support

Applying For An Alabama Child Support Order

If Receiving Public Assistance

If you receive assistance from the state of Alabama, you automatically have to apply for child support. You must cooperate with the guidelines of the (TANF) or Temporary Assistance for Needy Families Program. If you do not than you can potentially lose your benefits.

Not Receiving Public Assistance

If you do not receive temporary assistance, you can still apply by paying a one-time application fee of $5 to $25. This amount is based on a sliding fee scale and will vary according to your income. This fee can be paid in cash or by money order and must be paid at the time of application. After applying, you will get an appointment to meet with a caseworker to discuss your application.

Custodial Parents with Emancipated Children

If you are owed arrears that accrued under a court order while the children were minors you can also fill out an application for child support benefits. You can make an appointment with County Department of Human Resources office in Alabama.

In Alabama there are a number of ways a child support order can be established:

  • Divorce cases
  • Foster care cases
  • Paternity cases
  • Separation cases
  • Affidavit cases

How is an Alabama Child Support Order Calculated?

The court will use Rule 32 of the Alabama rules of judicial Administration. This law governs the calculation of child support. This rule is a state law and the guidelines will be used to establish the amount of the child support order.

Rule 32 guidelines are as follows:

  • The monthly gross income of both parents.
  • Day care expenses
  • Health insurance costs
  • Additional children


Any person with an open case, can request a modification review every 36 months. This request must be in writing. In the request you must explain why the order should be changed and how your circumstances have changed.

Contact Alabama Child Support Enforcement Division

Alabama Department of Human Resources

Child Support Enforcement Division

Phone Number: (334) 242-9300

FAX: (334) 242-0606

Send Email:

Mailing Address:

Alabama Department of Human Resources

Child Support Enforcement Division

PO Box 304000

Montgomery, Alabama 36130-4000

Find the Answers to Your Child Support Services Questions

Scan through the titles of previously answered questions below to see if your question has already been answered. You can also comment on them.

If you can't find what you are looking for, go ahead and ask your child support question by clicking in the Title Box below. We will do our best to get you a detailed response as soon as possible.

TIP: Summarize your question in your first 2 or 3 sentences, then follow that up with more details.

Enter A Title For Your Child Support Situation (Ex.: How Do I Start a Child Support Order?)

You Are Here → › Alabama Child Support