Know Your Rights!

Welcome to the Child Support America News. This is our Fourth issue and we are excited to share more child support information with you. We will be exploring non-custodial parents rights this month. Stay tuned for our monthly contests, latest news and so much more. Regardless of what end of the Child Support spectrum you are on, we are here to help.

If you like this e-zine, please do me a favor and "pay it forward."

If a friend DID forward this to you and if you enjoy this e-zine, please subscribe by visiting......

Subscribe to E-Zine

Know Your Rights! Issue #004

Table of Contents for this issue:

  • Know Your Rights! We will explore the non custodial parents rights in detail..
  • Learn more about our Legal Plan... You do not want to be without it.
  • Child Support News! What celebrity or athlete is in the news for child support issues....... This month, Jon and Kate Plus 8! Like they haven't been in the News enough lately..LOL
  • Our October Contest is announced!

Do You Know Your Rights as a Non-Custodial Parent?

A non-custodial or non-residential parent is the person who does not have primary care of the child/ren. In most cases this person is still required and obligated to pay child support. Regardless of this fact, there are many fathers’ rights that men need to be aware of at all times.

The first thing to remember is this. If you have not gone through the courts for visitation or have paperwork from a divorce you DON’T HAVE ANY RIGHTS!!

One of the first things you should do as a non-custodial parent is establish some sort of court ordered schedule to see your kids. Doing this has many advantages, and more importantly it gives you many rights as a father. Without court ordered documentation of visitation, you can run into many problems as a non-residential parent.

The most dangerous issue is the fact that the primary parent can legally leave the area and relocate without giving the non-custodial parent warning. If this happens you will face an uphill battle to locate and establish legal rights to see your children. On the other hand, if you have established some sort of court ordered visitation, the primary parent would need your permission to legally take the kids away from your care. This is simply one issue, but is a harsh reality when discussing the rights of a father.

There are many other things that a non-residential Dad should know about their fathers rights. They should be aware that having a court ordered parenting agreement entitles them to receive many of the same rights that the primary parent has. You will have entitlements such as having access to the child’s school and medical records. In most cases you will be able to access this information without the consent of the primary parent.

The school system and the child’s physician cannot legally give you this information without court ordered documentation. They also cannot legally deny you any of this information as long as you have the proper paperwork needed. Once you are awarded your parenting agreement from the courts, make sure you place your paperwork on file with whatever agencies you want to obtain records from. If you do this, things should run smoothly when you want to get your child’s records in the future. If you ever run into any problems, politely tell the agency that you already have records on file and that you have a legal right to your child’s information. The agency should then provide you with access to the records.

Keep in mind that most agencies are only familiar with the residential parent. When the non-residential parent takes advantage of his or her rights it seems out of place. I have personally experienced this first hand. I’m the non-custodial parent of an eight year old boy. I obtain my son’s records at least once a year from his school and his doctor. When I first started doing this, it felt weird because the staff didn’t know I was the father. I presented a copy of my driver’s license and my court ordered paperwork and asked them to place it on file. I have not had a problem since that time.

You also have many fathers rights concerning your visitation with your child/ren. Having a court ordered visitation agreement gives the non-custodial parent a set schedule to visit their kids. Without this agreement you could be playing a cat and mouse game trying to regularly see your children.

We have seen this happen many times and Child Support America receives tons of emails concerning this issue. It’s also important to know that you do not have to hire an attorney to obtain court ordered visitation! You can file a motion to the courts yourself, sometimes even for free. The exception to this rule is if you have a complicated situation. If this is the case, you may need legal representation to straighten things out.

Nevertheless, you have the right to have a continuous relationship with your kids. Our recommendation is that you go through the courts and obtain legal paperwork to avoid problems down the line. This is simply some basic information to help dads establish their fathers rights.

We have found a great site geared towards non-custodial parents rights. Check out the Alliance for Non-Custodial Parents Rights

Learn More about our Legal Plan

Having a child support lawyer in your corner can be a good thing. You might be thinking….. I can’t afford an attorney. Well that’s where we can help.

We will discuss this shortly....

Our Child Support America team is amazed at the emails we receive for people who need legal help with their child support situation. We hear stories of all kinds, from both custodial and non-custodial parents alike. Some of the stories are heart wrenching.

That’s why we decided to work in partnership with a legal service to assist people just like you. We wanted to help good people who have a lot of problems, but not a lot of money to solve them. Our child support lawyer legal program is very affordable and has helped thousands of clients including one of our own.

Listen to a true story from one of our team members ....

Hello all, my name is Doug and I am a staff member of the Child Support team. I just wanted to share my personal story of how our legal service has helped me with a serious child support situation I once had.

I have two different child support cases. Both cases were opened in Ohio. In 1997 my oldest son and his mother moved back to Virginia to be closer to her family. This is when my nightmare began. Although my case was originally opened in Ohio, My son’s mother opened another case in the state of Virginia.

This is called an interstate case and is perfectly legal. In a nutshell, an interstate case is when one party moves to another state and both states work together to ensure child support is paid and received. This caused a major problem for me that only a child support lawyer could resolve.

Here’s what happened....

For ten years the Virginia child support agency was not aware that I had received a modification on my original Ohio order. So they were reporting on my credit that I owed almost $14,000 in back child support better known as arrears.

I had received a modification in Ohio, but my case worker never forwarded that information to my case worker in Virginia. They simply kept adding the old child support amount to my balance for years and then reported it every month to the credit bureaus. Not only did this negatively affect my credit, it appeared that I had two different cases even though it was for the same child. On my credit report it looked like I had a case in Ohio and a case in Virginia.

This made me look terrible when I applied for jobs, and when I was trying to get loans. That mistake haunted me for years and I didn’t even know it until about a year ago. It was very serious and I needed help fast.

I contacted a local child support lawyer in my city. He told me that my situation was complicated and that I needed to consult with an attorney in Virginia. This was way over my head and way too expensive to say the least. I felt overwhelmed and it seemed like I would lose this battle. I almost gave up, until I came across an affordable legal plan that changed everything.

Sign up for our V.I.P. Membership today to learn how you can get this legal plan for yourself.

In The News................

Jon and Kate Plus a whole lot of Child Support!!

Kate Gosselin files for child, spousal support Kate says Jon Gosselin took nearly $230,000 from their joint bank account

Kate Gosselin has filed paperwork asking for child support and temporary spousal support in the wake of Jon Gosselin taking nearly $230,000 from their bank account, says Mark Momjian, one of her divorce attorneys.

“She needs relief in light of the draining of substantial marital assets in violation of the arbitrator’s decision that the money should be used only for specific purposes,” says Momjian, who adds that the economic issues between the Gosselins are being hammered out by a court-appointed arbitrator by agreement on both sides. An arbitrator’s conference is scheduled for Tuesday, he says.

Kate’s application for child support and temporary support was filed last week around the same time as an emergency petition asking a Montgomery County judge to order Jon to return the money, Momjian says. A hearing on that issue was scheduled for Wednesday but was canceled because the judge’s wife died. No new court date has been set.

What If You Could Change The Laws?

What would you do if you were in the position to change laws? If you were able to change anything about the Child Support system what would it be? We want to hear about it. We understand all of your frustrations and concerns so why not tell us about it! The winner will receive a free Ebay E-book. This book has secrets For Buying and Selling on Ebay. It was wrote by a staff member and retails for $12.00.
So Enter The Child Support Laws You'd Change Today!

Our November 2009 Thanksgiving e-zine will feature:

  • We will explore some Child Support Services in detail.
  • Child Support news! What celebrity or athlete is in the news for child support issues.......
  • Our "Turkey Day" contest will be announced and our October winners revealed!

Thanks For Reading and See You Next month!


New! Comments

Have your say about what you just read! Leave a comment in the box below.

Become A Child Support America Client Today by Clicking Here!

Child Support Help

Got an important question to ask our staff? Sign up today for our Fast Response Program!

Get A Fast Response

Get The latest Child Support America News Right to Your Inbox

First Name


Don't worry -- your e-mail address is totally secure.
I promise to use it only to send you The Child Support America E-zine.