Tax Day is Here!

Welcome to the Child Support America News. This is issue Number 8 and we are excited to share more child support information with you. We will be exploring Father's Rights, Child Support and Taxes this month! Stay tuned for our monthly contests, latest news and so much more. Regardless of what end of the Child Support spectrum you are on, we are here to help.

If you like this e-zine, please do me a favor and "pay it forward."

If a friend DID forward this to you and if you enjoy this e-zine, please subscribe by visiting......

Subscribe to E-Zine

Special Tax Day Day Issue #008

Table of Contents for this issue:

  • We are going to explore Father's Rights and child custody laws! You have a right to see your kids......
  • April 15th is Tax Day!!! We will share some tax information and Child Support info!
  • Child Support News! What celebrity or athlete is in the news for child support issues....... You won't believe it!
  • Our Tax Day Contest Is announced!!!

Exploring Father's Rights

Knowing Your fathers rights is important since most unmarried dads are non-custodial parents. Child Support America is a neutral website that supports both residential and non-residential parties. But due to the nature of this topic the rights of a father deserves its own page.

A non-custodial or non-residential parent is the person who does not have primary care of the child/ren. In most cases this person is still required and obligated to pay child support. Regardless of this fact, there are many fathers’ rights that men need to be aware of at all times.

The first thing to remember is this. If you have not gone through the courts for visitation or have paperwork from a divorce you DON’T HAVE ANY RIGHTS!!

One of the first things you should do as a non-custodial parent is establish some sort of court ordered schedule to see your kids. Doing this has many advantages, and more importantly it gives you many rights as a father. Without court ordered documentation of visitation, you can run into many problems as a non-residential parent.

The most dangerous issue is the fact that the primary parent can legally leave the area and relocate without giving the non-custodial parent warning. If this happens you will face an uphill battle to locate and establish legal rights to see your children. On the other hand, if you have established some sort of court ordered visitation, the primary parent would need your permission to legally take the kids away from your care. This is simply one issue, but is a harsh reality when discussing the rights of a father.

There are many other things that a non-residential Dad should know about their fathers rights. They should be aware that having a court ordered parenting agreement entitles them to receive many of the same rights that the primary parent has. You will have entitlements such as having access to the child’s school and medical records. In most cases you will be able to access this information without the consent of the primary parent.

Click Here To Share Your Story About Dads Rights

The school system and the child’s physician cannot legally give you this information without court ordered documentation. They also cannot legally deny you any of this information as long as you have the proper paperwork needed. Once you are awarded your parenting agreement from the courts, make sure you place your paperwork on file with whatever agencies you want to obtain records from. If you do this, things should run smoothly when you want to get your child’s records in the future. If you ever run into any problems, politely tell the agency that you already have records on file and that you have a legal right to your child’s information. The agency should then provide you with access to the records.

Keep in mind that most agencies are only familiar with the residential parent. When the non-residential parent takes advantage of his or her rights it seems out of place. I have personally experienced this first hand. I’m the non-custodial parent of an eight year old boy. I obtain my son’s records at least once a year from his school and his doctor. When I first started doing this, it felt weird because the staff didn’t know I was the father. I presented a copy of my driver’s license and my court ordered paperwork and asked them to place it on file. I have not had a problem since that time.

You also have many fathers rights concerning your visitation with your child/ren. Having a court ordered visitation agreement gives the non-custodial parent a set schedule to visit their kids. Without this agreement you could be playing a cat and mouse game trying to regularly see your children.

We have seen this happen many times and Child Support America receives tons of emails concerning this issue. It’s also important to know that you do not have to hire an attorney to obtain court ordered visitation! You can file a motion to the courts yourself, sometimes even for free. The exception to this rule is if you have a complicated situation. If this is the case, you may need legal representation to straighten things out.

Nevertheless, you have the right to have a continuous relationship with your kids. Our recommendation is that you go through the courts and obtain legal paperwork to avoid problems down the line. This is simply some basic information to help dads establish their fathers rights.

April 15th is Tax Day!

Child Support Tax Information you need to know.

Child support is tax-free for federal income tax purposes, meaning neither the recipient spouse nor the child owes taxes on it. However, unlike spousal support, child support payments are not tax-deductible by the parent who makes the payments. (Spousal support is tax-deductible for the person who makes the payments and taxable to the recipient.)

Be careful how support is characterized in your marital settlement agreement, as it may have significant tax consequences.

For more detailed information about this,Click Here for more information on the NOLO site!

In The News................

Mom age 81, Sues for Child Support for 60-Year-Old!!

This is no celebrity, however it is a very interesting read and CSA wanted to pass it along. Widow says child's father ignored court order

Newser) – At first, it looks like a standard child support case—she says he never paid, he says he never knew. But the plaintiff is 81-year-old widow Rosemary Douglas. She’s suing Urban Joseph Grass—who was born during the Coolidge administration—saying that he’s spent the last 60 years dodging child support payments for their son, who’s now a grandfather himself. She says he owes $57,000, counting interest.

Douglas says she secured a court order for child support after the son was born in 1950, but that Grass never paid, despite her repeated attempts to get him to do so. “He used every ruse he could think of to get out of it,” she tells the Houston Chronicle . But Grass’ newly hired lawyer isn’t worried. “We are hoping to make this go away pretty quickly,” he says. “I suspect it’s an old lady down on her luck who’s looking for some money.”

Whatever happened to statute of limitations?......LOL ;0)

Our Income Tax Contest!

Thanks to all the entries in the March Madness Contest! CSA had an amazing response and we hope the winners enjoy their Free memberships! We have had an outpouring of questions about taxes and Child Support. Let's honor that demand with prizes! Please share with us your tax offset stories! Our readers can learn from you! We will honor all submissions with a prize! For the BEST Child Support offset situation we hear, that winner will receive a FREE e-bay e-book AND a V.I.P. Membership to Child Support America. Over the past month we have really heard you and realize the need. So you can tell us all about your current situation and possibly win! How great is that! So start submitting your situations NOW and we will announce the winner next month!

So Share Your Situation Here!

Our May 2010 E-zine will feature:

  • How do I apply for a modification? We are here to answer all of your questions.
  • Child Support news! What celebrity or athlete is in the news for child support issues.......
  • We will celebrate Spring with a Spring Cleaning Contest that will clean out your closets!

Thanks For Reading, and See You Next month!


New! Comments

Have your say about what you just read! Leave a comment in the box below.

Become A Child Support America Client Today by Clicking Here!

Child Support Help

Got an important question to ask our staff? Sign up today for our Fast Response Program!

Get A Fast Response

Get The latest Child Support America News Right to Your Inbox

First Name


Don't worry -- your e-mail address is totally secure.
I promise to use it only to send you The Child Support America E-zine.